Wednesday, April 26, 2006

New World Record!

Well, in a sense. In my world of one I just set a new record average speed for my after work training/time trial course. The course is the 32 miles from where I live in Sykesville to Westminster and back. I use average speed because I don't always take the same route, though the mileage is pretty close to the same. Sometimes I can't get across 32 to get onto Johnsville and end up going up to 26 on 32. The basic route is north on 32, west on 26, north on 97 to Westminster and back.

Oh, my average speed today was about 20.5 mph, 0.5 mph faster than a week after the SM100 last year, which was the first time I had broken (barely) a 20 mph average. Sweet! I'm faster at the beginning of this year than I was at my peak last year. I hope I can keep up the intensity during the year.

Something I wondered again today on the ride, as I often do. Many people I talk to say their training rides seem interminably boring, and they often take music along to help pass the time. For some reason I've never had this feeling of my road rides seeming to drag on so slowly. Almost it seems when I've finished an hour and 34 minute ride as today's ride was, that no time has passed at all. It's not that I blank it out, because I can remember events along the entire route today. Perhaps my perception of the passing of time is just different than many other people's. For instance, here it is 10:54 PM and it seems like only a very short while ago I had just finished my ride and it was 8:30 PM. Mayhaps that is one of the reasons I always end up staying up too late.

No comments: