Wednesday, April 12, 2006

100% Done!

The new bike is now 100% done! If I wasn't so tired I'd take a picture and post it. Tomorrow maybe. Bleeding the front brake was a pain and required a lot of patience -- two hours worth to be exact. I thought I was done twice, but it wasn't until the third round of pumping up my forearms squeezing the bottle of brake fluid into the caliper that I finally got it right. But man is it sweet! I can't wait for the pads to bed in.

I rode it for the first time tonight, and I'm an extremely happy person right now. Or I would be if my brain wasn't flooding my bloodstream with sleep signals. I have my fingers crossed that the weather will hold out this long weekend so I can get some trail time on it, but the 10 minutes I was able to ride it tonight were enough for me to realize the Gunnar is going to be immeasurably more precise than the Trek Fuel I had been riding, and so much easier to handle while riding slow or stopped. Moves I didn't think I'd ever get down have suddenly entered the realm of the possible. I hope I remain as happy with it after I've put some time in on technical terrain.

I'm still a bit hesitant to commit to riding singlespeed at the Michaux race in a week and a half, as tough as that race is going to be, but I may enjoy the Gunnar so much I won't want to ride the Fuel any more!

No comments: